Here are some inexpensive and cheap college dorm room decorating ideas and tips for dorm room space tips.
Cheap Dorm Room Decorating Ideas
Dorm rooms serve as home away from home for college
students who need a place to study and relax, watch movies on weekends
or just read a good novel. However, it has to be inexpensive as it is a
temporary abode and college students usually cannot afford huge
expenses. Roommates may or may not like your room Decor ideas. If
you cannot coordinate well, it is wonderful, otherwise respect their
territorial rights and stick to your space for decoration, creating
comfort zone and special personal touch. Here are some cheap dorm Decor
ideas that you can use:
- In a dorm, the bed serves many purposes such as study area, couch
and even a coffee table. It is also the largest piece of furniture
that you may own in a dorm room, so choose a comforter that does not
get dirty easily and can be cleaned easily too. Reversible
comforters in solid colors that match the color scheme of your dorm
room are good options.
- You may dress up your bed using fluffy throw pillows in funky
- Since mostly dorm rooms have long beds to accommodate tall
students, you may need to buy extra long twin sheets.
- Maximize your storage space by opting for high beds or raise the
bed using bricks or cement blocks and you may push your boxes and
luggage under the bed.
- Plastic crates or wire storage systems that can be rearranged,
decorative hat boxes and closet organizers can be a great help to
keep your things well organized.
- Cheap plastic hooks and metal towel hangers attached to your
closet door and back of the room door will provide you space to hang
- Buy a table that can accommodate your computer or TV too. Place
it where there is adequate lighting.
- You can use walls to put up posters or other wall decoration to
customize your area and use special poster adhesive to avoid
- If you are artistic types, use colored chalk or butcher paper and
colored pencils to draw new murals for your wall, every time you
feel inspired as they can easily be washed off or removed.
- Buy frames or make some from cardboard matte and decorate them
using decorative items such as glitter, buttons, feathers and beads,
some funky memo holders and French memo boards to display photos of
your new friends and love interests or may be some good quotes.
- Another way to display your photos is to string them up and hang
them from your laundry line across the room.
- To decorate metallic surfaces such as refrigerators, use magnets.
- Use dry erase boards on your door and room to leave notes for
your friends and roommates to coordinate with then.
- To lend a romantic touch to your dorm room, you can drape sheer
fabric across the window or over a bed.
- A colorful beautiful shower curtain can be used to mask the messy
- Fashionable and functional lights can change the look of your
room too. A lamp of the study table and mini-lights for the moody
atmosphere across the room is quite relaxing. While white lights are
bright and good for eyes you can use funky colored lights in shape
of stars or hearts for special occasions.