Here are some tips, Decor ideas and Decor plans for decorating a small home, a tiny apartment or small houses.
Useful Ideas for Decorating Small Homes
Living in a small space is tough, especially when you
have to abide by the rental rules formulated by your landlord. Moreover,
decorating options are very less, since you cannot experiment much with
the limited space. However, you can make a small apartment look as
beautiful and spacious as its larger counterparts. All you need is to
create the illusion of space by arranging the furniture and knowledge
about the appropriate lighting, color of the walls etc. In this article,
we have given some of the best ideas for decorating small apartment.
Small Apartment Decor Ideas
- Furniture plays a pivotal role in every home Decor. The
choice of home furnishings can either create or occupy space.
- Do not go for bulky sofa sets, because they are difficult to
move, occupy a whole lot of space and make the room look cramped.
Small pieces of furniture such as an ottoman, an armless, open
chair, low table will open up the space. A frugal option is
sofa-cum-bed, which can be unfolded to serve as a bed during the
- The arrangement of furniture is another thing to consider. Make
sure that you place the largest piece of furniture, probably the
couch, against the longest wall of the room. Keep the furniture away
from the walkways, so that people do not stumble upon it while
coming or going out of the room.
- Lighting is another important factor in determining the look of
the room. For a small apartment, the rooms should be illuminated in
such a way that space is opened up. Ceiling lights are a strict
no-no in this case, because they tend to cut off the height of the
room. Soft lighting is preferable. Go for recessed lighting. Install
more lamps in your home. Eliminate shadows at the corners of the
rooms by placing soft incandescent lights at strategic locations.
- Apart from artificial lighting, natural light also plays a
pivotal role in creating the illusion of space. Open the windows of
your room during daytime, so that your rooms are illuminated with
- Soft, monochromatic color schemes create the illusion of more
space. Hence, choose colors that are light, such as white, cream and
off white. You may also opt for cool colors. Select soft tones of
blues and greens for the walls.
- Match the walls with a monochromatic color scheme for the fabrics
of the furniture and drapery. You may choose light and airy fabrics
for the throw pillows and curtains. Cotton is the best bet. Laced
curtains are good, because they provide good ventilation as well as
allow the light to pass through, during the day.
- Mirrors can open up a considerable amount of space, because they
reflect light. Use large decorative mirrors for the purpose.
- Use minimal number of accessories for your rooms, because they
create clutter. Stick to small sized throw pillows, wall hangings
and framed photographs or artwork.
- Last but not the least - keep your home free of clutter. Organize
things on cupboards, closets and drawers. When things are neatly
arranged and out of sight, the space in the home is opened up